Cripple Creek, Colorado

High atop the Rocky Mountains on the Western side of America's Mountain, Cripple Creek lies in a vast bowl created by Earth, Wind & Fire!
This has been my home for 20 years. I raised my kids here, built a ranch, raised horses and cows and assorted farm animals and buried my husband in the shadow of this Magnificent Mountain.
So, saddle up yer pony and ride along with me as I share some of my experiences riding trails and photographing my world in this, the most beautiful of spaces!

Pages

Monday, August 4, 2008

Sunday Aug 3 2008

DOME ROCK~ Yet another of my favorite rides. Takes me about 2.5-3 hours to ride this loop of about 10 miles. 2.5 if Luke is in any kind of shape, 3 hrs to take it easy-ish and take lots of photos, which I did yesterday. It was gorgeous out, hot, clear, sunny. A perfect day for this ride. Most folks are sitting in their air-conditioning, I take off and go find a cool spot to ride. This one offers a nice long climb to the top of the world where you can see 360degree peaks surrounding meadow covered hillsides and pine and aspen covered mountains.




DOME ROCK! There it is, stately and proud against the blue Colorado sky. The ride to this spot is great! Heres a shot of some purple asters clustered against the hillside. I took this from the saddle on Luke.



This is a really fun trail for some minor technical spots, rock hopping, knee banging even some toe twisting. I ride it backwards and forwards quite a bit so can cruise along in high gear once Luke gets rid of his hay belly. Its probably not going to happen this year! ha ha ha!

I warn ya now that you might only see horse ears. I take a lot of shots of Lukes ears! Look closely in the shot below; the aspen tree has an Arrow that SOMEBODY carved into it many moons ago, perhaps as a trail marker cause this used ta be a mountain goat path back in the day.....leads to some beautiful single track, aspen groves, springs, cool grassy meadows. Used to be an old line or miners cabin along this route, but that has since fallen and been taken by Ma Nature.

Well, gotta run. I have lots more photos of this ride and will try to get back to edit before the week is out. Check back often, or email me with questions at carrie@goldcountryco.com
I sell Real Estate and am always happy to help someone out.
Happy Trails!

No comments: