Cripple Creek, Colorado

High atop the Rocky Mountains on the Western side of America's Mountain, Cripple Creek lies in a vast bowl created by Earth, Wind & Fire!
This has been my home for 20 years. I raised my kids here, built a ranch, raised horses and cows and assorted farm animals and buried my husband in the shadow of this Magnificent Mountain.
So, saddle up yer pony and ride along with me as I share some of my experiences riding trails and photographing my world in this, the most beautiful of spaces!

Pages

Monday, August 4, 2008

Trail Aug 2 2008


Saturday morning broke clean and clear, as I watched the sun rise over Pikes Peak I'm thinking to myself "Good day for a ride". Heres a shot of the poor victim awaiting his fate, the little red one on the right. His name is Luke. His pasture partner/boss is Major, who is the boss of all he surveys and lets everyone know it. Big bossy boy.

So I loaded ol' Luke up and headed out to one of my closest and most favorite places to ride, Deer Haven. Its a little chunk of BLM just off the High Park Road which is also County Road 11 in Fremont County, Colorado. From here I can ride to some really high overlooks, through varied and spectacular terrain, oak bush, Ponderosa Pines, Aspens, grassy meadows, granite and quartz outcroppings.
I always manage to see something really cool here. Last time I flushed a black bear. We were both surprised! Ol'Luke, boy he sure scooted along the trail after seeing that little blacky. I also caught a coyote marking territory before he scented me. Today I got a shot of this hawk hanging in this tall dead tree overlooking his world. This was in a meadow full of oak brush and lots of rabbits and little birds.


This ride took 3 hours on Saturday. I also ran into some old friends who came up from Canon City. They were poking along on some Quarter Horses. I hadn't seen this gal for 2 years and here she was riding along on a nice bay horse with a group of friends. So I should warn you that there is hardly any photos of me cuz I am always taking the pics and besides, am pretty hard on a camera. But I like to take good pics of the trail, its always nice to see what the trails look like if you are a rider.



Anyway, thats what I did on Saturday.

If you are interested in more trails or anything else about the area you can contact me at

carrie@goldcountryco.com or through my office in Cripple Creek. All the numbers are on my website. Thanks for reading! I would love to hear comments!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is so nice to see a happy family as you have. I found a happy neighborhood too in the Colorado and the home finder